2021 Syllabus News
There have been some changes to 2021 Syllabi. Please find them below.
Getting that "Plus" grading presentation
Jane Burgess has provided a refreshed version of her very practical and informative presentation: 'Getting that "Plus" grading'. Originally presented at the AMEB Information Day 2018, this version includes updates from the 2020 Manual of Syllabuses and Level 3 information.
Entering for Practical Exams
All exam entries are now through AMEB Score. Please see the Entering for an AMEB Exam page for step-by-step guides on entering and access to Score.
Sample Theory Papers
Sample papers for the exams affected by the 2020 set work changes are below:
2020 Syllabus News
There have been a number of changes to 2020 Syllabi, please find them below.
Click here for 2020 Syllabus news
Click here for Speech and Drama Syllabus News
2020 Teachers' Handbook
The 2020 Teachers' Handbook is available for download. It is a must have for every teacher.
New Trumpet Syllabus
Following the comprehensive review of the Trumpet Manual Lists in 2017, the technical work requirements have been updated, and a new collection of Trumpet teaching and learning resources has been released: Trumpet Technical work & orchestral excerpts (2019), a new series of grade books (Trumpet Series 2) for Preliminary to Grade 4, AMEB Recorded accompaniments for Trumpet Series 2 (Preliminary to Grade 3), and Trumpet Sight-reading & transposition. The revised syllabus introduces two new examinations, Preliminary at the beginning of the syllabus and Certificate of Performance, which serves both to cap the Level 2 examinations as well as prepare candidates for the requirements of the Level 3 examinations.
Visit the links below for more information:
Highlights of the AMEB Trumpet Syllabus Launch, Melbourne
The new trumpet publications can be purchased from our office. Please visit the office, call 8313 8088 or email email@example.com with any enquiries or to make an order.
2020 Information Day Resources
Presentation Recordings from the 2020 AMEB Information Day and previous Information Days are now live. If you missed it, you can find them here or by following the "Information Day Resources" link in the menu on the left.
Teachers are reminded that recorded accompaniments for list pieces in exams must be the official AMEB releases. To see available recordings, visit the AMEB Online Shop.
AMEB & AGSA Student Collaborative Pianist Award
(Previously the AMEB Student Collaborative Artist Award)
Subscribe to AMEB's Newsletter
Exam Confirmation Slips are now being emailed out!
If you don't have an email address registered with the AMEB please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow the link for more information about our new system.
Are you using the correct entry forms?
Our Practical Entry Forms have changed, with extra sessions being offered this year. You can find the most up-to-date Entry Forms for Practical, Hard Copy Theory, Speech and Diploma exams under the "Entry Forms" heading on our homepage.
Notes for Parents of AMEB Candidates
Click here for our guide with useful tips for parents of AMEB candidates. This downloadable form provides a basis of our examination process from entering all the way to receiving your child's certificate.
Don't know how the AMEB administration process works?
Print off our handy AMEB examination checklist to double check that you have entered your candidates correctly and to find out what happens next in the administration process.
Graduate Certificate in Music Teaching
The Graduate Certificate in Music Teaching is designed to upgrade the knowledge, skills and understanding of in-service instrumental music teachers to be eligible to apply for Special Authority for an Unregistered Person to Teach from the Teachers' Registration Board of SA.
Click here for more information or contact the Elder Conservatorium of Music for more information on 8313 5995.
Go to the Federal AMEB Website to find articles with Expert Advice on keeping your students engaged and excited about learning music. Get inspired by learning about what to do, what not to do and everything inbetween.
Below are a few interesting links with notes on the lectures, presented at AMEB Information Days over the last few years.
- Utilizing Technology in Teaching AMEB piano, presented by Stuart Storer
- Terms to Support the AMEB Speech and Drama Syllabus, presented by Louise Borgo
- Preparing for AMEB Clarinet Exams, presented by Anna Lester
- The Diary of A Tired String Player, presented by Wendy Heiligenberg
- AMEB Workshop - Rehearsing An Ensemble, presented by Anna Lester
Being An AMEB Teacher
Candidates Preparing and/or sitting for an AMEB exam are not required to have a teacher or an 'AMEB Qualified' Teacher. People who wish to gain qualifications in teaching from the AMEB may sit AMEB Teaching exams. Learn More
Teaching Music - Why do AMEB Exams?
Having a clearly defined goal can be a powerful motivating force. AMEB syllabuses set educationally appropriate goals, and examinations are an opportunity for students to measure themselves against these goals. Performing in front of others also helps to develop poise and confidence.
Progress Through Feedback
Each candidate who completes an AMEB exam receives a personal written report from their examiner. This independent feedback encourages the student to progress by highlighting areas of strength and weakness under performance conditions to help guide students in their development.
Each successful AMEB candidate receives an official certificate recognising their achievement. An AMEB certificate is a tangible reminder of a milestone achieved and a source of great pride.
SACE Board of SA Recognition for AMEB Exams
Students can use some of their AMEB results to claim credits for their SACE. Please see the 'Recognised Community-Developed Programs' Table at www.sace.sa.edu.au/learning/community-learning/community-developed-programs to find out which subjects are eligible. If you have completed a higher grade than what is recognised on this table, please talk to your school's SACE Coordinator about receiving credit through the Self-Directed Community Learning Program.
To apply for recognition, students must complete the application form, found at the link above, and submit the form to their School's SACE coordinator.
For a hard copy of this information and the application form, please contact the AMEB Office.
AMEB publications are produced within Australia to the highest editorial standards. They are a cost effective and convenient way to purchase a range of repertoire and to prepare for practical and written examinations.
AMEB offers a range of quality publications to support students and teachers preparing for exams. AMEB publications are a cost effective and convenient way to purchase a range of repertoire. They are produced within Australia to the highest editorial standards and often feature compositions by Australian and regional composers. AMEB publications are available from our online music shop or from one of our local music retailers.
- Out of print
The following AMEB publications have recently gone out of print. If you are unable to find these publications, check with the National Library, your local State Library, local AMEB State Office or second-hand sellers such as Ebay and Gumtree.
- PIANO PRELIMINARY SUPPLIMENTARY BOOK 2001 AMEB
- CELLO SECOND GRADE SERIES 1 AMEB
- CELLO FOURTH GRADE SERIES 1 AMEB
- VIOLIN GRADE 5 SERIES 7 AMEB
- PIANO FOR LEISURE SERIES 1 GRADE 5 CD/NOTES
- PIANO FOR LEISURE SERIES 1 GRADE 6 CD/NOTES
- PIANO FOR LEISURE SERIES 1 GRADE 7 CD/NOTES
- VIOLIN GRADE 4 SERIES 7 AMEB
- HANDBOOK VIOLIN GRADE 6 SERIES 6 AMEB
- HANDBOOK VIOLIN GRADE 3 SERIES 6 AMEB
- HANDBOOK VIOLIN GRADE 4 SERIES 6 AMEB
- BAROQUE GRADE 1 AND 2 PNO 1992 AMEB
- HANDBOOK VIOLIN GRADE 2 SERIES 6 AMEB
- HANDBOOK VIOLIN PRELIMINARY GRADE SERIES 6 AMEB
- HANDBOOK VIOLIN GRADE 1 SERIES 6 AMEB
- HANDBOOK VIOLIN GRADE 5 SERIES 6 AMEB
- HANDBOOK VIOLIN GRADE 7 SERIES 6 AMEB
- BAROQUE GRADE 3 AND 4 PIANO 1992 AMEB
- GRADE 6 SERIES 1 MUSICIANSHIP WORKBOOK AMEB
- GRADE 3 SERIES 1 MUSICIANSHIP WORKBOOK AMEB
- GRADE 2 SERIES 1 MUSICIANSHIP WORKBOOK AMEB
- THEORY WORKBOOK GRADE 5 SERIES 1 AMEB
- ANALYTICAL NOTES MUSICIANSHIP AMEB 1991
- ANALYTICAL NOTES THEORY 1991 AMEB
- PIANO GRADE 3 AND 4 STUDIES 1992 AMEB
- MUSICIANSHIP GRADE 1 SERIES 1 WORKBOOK AMEB
- GRADE 1 TO 6 SERIES 1 MUSICIANSHIP ANSWER BOOK
- PIANO PRELIM TO GRADE 2 SERIES 14 AMEB CD/NOTES
- PIANO GRADE 3 TO 4 SERIES 14 AMEB CD NOTES
- PIANO GRADE 6 SERIES 14 AMEB CD HANDBOOK
- PIANO GRADE 7 SERIES 14 AMEB CD HBOOK
- PIANO PRELIMINARY SERIES 14 AMEB
- PIANO GRADE 1 SERIES 14 AMEB
- PIANO GRADE 2 SERIES 14 AMEB
- PIANO GRADE 3 SERIES 14 AMEB
- PIANO GRADE 4 SERIES 14 AMEB
- PIANO GRADE 5 SERIES 14 AMEB
- PIANO GRADE 6 SERIES 14 AMEB
- PIANO GRADE 7 SERIES 14 AMEB
- VIOLA TECHNIQUE BOOK AMEB
- VIOLIN PRELIMINARY GRADE SERIES 6 AMEB
- VIOLIN GRADE 1 SERIES 6 AMEB
- VIOLIN GRADE 2 SERIES 6 AMEB
- VIOLIN GRADE 3 SERIES 6 AMEB
- VIOLIN GRADE 4 SERIES 6 AMEB
- VIOLIN GRADE 5 SERIES 6 AMEB
- VIOLIN GRADE 6 SERIES 6 AMEB
- VIOLIN GRADE 3 SERIES 7 AMEB
- VIOLIN PRELIM TO GR 2 SERIES 7 CD/HANDBOOK
- PIANO FOR LEISURE SERIES 1 GRADE 8 CD/NOTES
- VIOLIN SERIES 7 GRADE 6
- Publication corrections & errors